Wednesday, August 21, 2013

joy in healthy choices

This journey, wow it has been one that has had so many unexpected twists and turns that I can't even explain them all and may never try unless its to a future spouse...maybe.

As many who may read this know, I have been working on a weight loss program. It has absolutely changed my life.

I just want to share a little more of my story, where I was, where I am and where I am headed while my journey still progresses.

Where I Was
Before I began the program I really had tried so many weight loss programs, some by choice...and some, well not so much. I have been overweight and then obese my whole life. I have not known anything else. I have been blessed with some amazing friends along the way who still have made me feel so loved no matter my size. When I graduated from BYU-Idaho I became resigned to the fact that this is the way it would be, someone may love me someday and I better learn to love myself. My personal spiritual growth that began a few months later helped me with really coming to love myself and know my God and Savior. That knowledge enlightened my life and raised me to a better level. But I was still so unhappy, sick, hurting and uncomfortable physically. In 2012 I started to see the possibilities of change by finding an amazing fitness team in Jerseyville that I went to pretty faithfully. I loved them and their energy. That combined with improved diet really helped some and I saw progress but I still wasn't seeing something...the discouragement and hopelessness that it would never really work was there.

When I moved to Boston this past fall to start my graduate program I found even more discouragement and never felt more aware of my size. I didn't know anyone and have found out through my life that once someone sees you are obese, many, many more assumptions follow. But again, a loving Heavenly Father provided amazing friends and people in my path who accepted me but weren't afraid to say hey I care about you, but so much so that I want to see you healthy. How can I help? I even had one amazing friend share about this program that she had started that helped her health so much called. The success I saw her have was great but the happiness and health that I saw her choosing to create meant more to me. My spirit had become so much brighter through that semester but I knew health would make my happiness grow because my body is an amazing gift from Heavenly Father. I know He wants me to take care of it. I had been neglecting that duty for the majority of my life.

Over Christmas I decided to do it. To sign up for the program as soon as I got back to Boston, to fully come to respect and take care of this body I have been gifted with. And I did. I got home in the afternoon and the next morning I went into my amazing friend, roommate and now health coach's room and we got me signed up! The next few days was a bunch of nerves and doubt but I knew that I wanted it this time...for real. My food came January 29 and I started January 30. I started therapy two weeks later to help with the emotional issues that were emerging. The combination of taking care of my spiritual self, physical self and emotional self has turned into the most amazing thing for me!

Where I Am
Now seven months on the program I have lost 113.6 pounds! It took 10 for me to begin to notice changes of more happiness, and wider smile, more joy. It took 15 for me to see in myself what Heavenly Father sees. :) As this journey has progressed it has been such a learning experience. I feel so much better. I can walk farther, run, wiggle and dance! There is so much more, but it really has made health come alive for me. Choices really are so key. Everyday little things add up to mean so so much in the grand picture of my health. And it really began with the choice for health clicking inside for me. I love health and helping others even more because I feel like I am more confident to be able to talk to others. I still have moments of doubt and self doubt, but don't we all?! It doesn't go away it just varies with how we choose to handle it.

I have found my voice in all of this. It take a bit for me to find the courage to do it, but when it is right and I know my Heavenly Father is with me its a winner every time. This voice has carried me through many temptations to fall off the program and to deviate from my path of creating health. This voice that I have found surprises me even now with what comes out, but it is all good and helps build! I love that. I have had a few times with emotional eating this past month as more stress has come about and I didn't have my plan in place prior to the situation. But it created a marvelous learning experience that I finally came to appreciate and take in. They also helped me to see that I can find joy in healthy choices!

That is one of the many, many reasons that I decided to become a HEALTH COACH for the program!! :) I want to share my joy that this program has helped me find! Many people with changes say they have gotten their life back which is amazing. But I have to say that I am being blessed with a life I never knew or believed I could have before! I am so excited to share this program with everyone.

Where I'm Going
Like I just mentioned I am becoming a health coach for the program! Also, you know, I am still progress and working on my health one day at a time. I am finding out what works and this does. I am going back to Boston in five days to greet the last year of my graduate program with a smile and a new perspective that this summer has offered as I have learned more. I am going to continue to share this amazing program with everyone who will listen. I may serve a mission for my church and having improved health is really, really helpful for the rigors of a mission! I also may follow other paths as the Lord opens them for me. Whatever path comes after Boston I know that I can greet it being an improved person that has received the help of a loving Father in Heaven, support from family, friends and doctors and being able to find out who I am. And, I just have to say that I think I am pretty awesome. :)

If you made it this far, thanks! Have a happy day!!


After 100lbs in July

2 comments:

  1. I love this and your new-found life! Good for you, Katie, doing what you feel is best in your life :) you have inspired me! Hope to see you in May!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie! I LOVED reading this. I had a smile on my face the whole time. YOU are so amazing! Thank you for sharing this inspiring story. That is awesome that you are going to be a health coach! Good luck with everything!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete