Thursday, October 31, 2013

Law of Reversibility

As I am nearing one year in recovery a lot of opportunities have come my way to mess everything up, to fall to a craving or temptation. But I have made it through each time with an eye on my greater desire to be in line with what my heart truly wants. My heart wants to do all it can to continue closer to God and the Lord. My heart doesn't want to be bound by addiction anymore. My heart wants to be free to choose.

I got this e-mail from the amazing Recovery2.0 website about the Law of Reversibility. Here are some thoughts that I really took to contemplate.
"The Universe, will give you an opportunity to take back your habit.  It might sound something like this: “Are you sure you want to give that up for good?  This is the Great Spirit’s way of asking you to review your commitment.  The inquiry itself is empowering and serves to strengthen you moving forward.

Knowing about the law of reversibility will be helpful on your pathway to enduring success in recovery and life.  It exists.  You will notice it in your life.  And when it expresses itself, you can bring awareness to what is happening and connect with a friend, mentor or teacher and say, “I am being given an opportunity to take back a commitment I have made. Can you help me think it through clearly?”  This approach will bring to light what needs to be seen.  You will be progressing forward with greater awareness of what you have achieved and why it is important to stay the course.  If you came to me as your mentor asking whether you should return to an addictive behavior or not, I would simply ask if you felt that returning to the behavior would bring you closer or further from your own heart.  Most people who are made to reflect about this, will admit that to go back to the addictive behavior is not in line with their heart.  Does admitting this guarantee that you will continue with your commitment?  Of course not, but giving voice to your heart is a magical thing to do.  Even if you went back to smoking, you would do so with the clear understanding that you are at odds with yourself.  This is a painful place to be.  You would be paying a price every time you smoked and very soon you would not be able to take it any longer.  You would have been reminded once again about the suffering that you experience when you smoke. 
This is very dangerous for people who are involved in hardcore drug abuse and alcoholism.  For those people, going back to do more “field research” might claim their lives.  And yet, as I know all too well there is no way to stop someone from a relapse if they are determined to have one. 

The law of reversibility arises in order for you to clarify your heart’s intent of remaining on the path of recovery and health.  Once you do this, the energy will shift and you will move into a period of greater clarity and power.  I wish this for you."


As each of us are meeting benchmarks in our lives of changing habits, even if you aren't overcoming addictions. I too wish you the opportunity to clarify your heart's intent. 

Health and Joy*

No comments:

Post a Comment